Week 17

 This has been a great semester and this class has been very informative. So far, my use of social media for my business has not changed, but that's because I'm not really ready for it to. I was sitting back and learning and observing. With the close of the semester, it will be time for me to turn my focus away from school and back to work, and time to implement some of what I learned. Therefore I cannot really say right now what the impact of this class will be on my business, but I have a feeling the impact will be fruitful.

 My viewpoint of social media hasn't really changed. I still find it intimidating and annoying, but also useful and entertaining. I do feel like I understand it better now, but I also feel like perhaps I've only just begun to understand it. I did find some services and outlets that I intend to use straightaway.

 Facebook ads have definitely captured my attention. The sheer power and efficiency of being able to target exactly the audience you want is brilliant. In the past I have found this feature to be somewhat creepy, but now that I have actually learned about it and explored it a little, I find it to be less creepy and more practical.

  I also am intrigued by the vast network of Google apps and how they all work together. I also find this to be somewhat disturbing on a theoretical level...but I am very interested in how using one aspect of Google's vast empire could help you on another Google front automatically.

  The crazy thing about social media is how it's always changing...there's a constant flow of change. One of my good friends and fellow photographers became an Instagram sensation by appearing in her photos (she's stunningly beautiful) and she learned quite quickly how to capitalize on the Instagram machine. But when I asked her recently for advice pertaining to Instagram and business, she informed me that with the recent algorithm changes, growing followers organically as she was able to do is now a lot more difficult. What worked for her is now in the past.

   I think perhaps for me, the key to mastering any sort of social media for my business or career will come down to taking baby steps. I've been dipping my toe in the pool and pulling it out again shrieking about how cold it was for so long. At some point I'm going to need to start wading into that water. This class has helped me to get my feet all the way in.

 

Comments

Popular Posts