Week 8 Post 2

 Visual media definitely works for the type of business I'm in...it IS the type of business I'm in. A few other photographers and videographers whose use of visuals in social media I have observed are  Jeremy Cowart, Horizon Light Productions, Lindsey Rickards Photography and Followmeto.travel.

  As I discussed in an earlier post, Jeremy Cowart is a celebrity photographer and humanitarian who has 141k Instagram followers and 70k monthly viewers on Pinterest. He seems to get anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000+ likes on his Instagram posts, and I've seen anywhere from 10 to 263 comments on them. He seems to usually post several times daily, although the last time he posted was 2 days ago. I think what I could learn from him is consistency, and also captioning. He writes a lot in his captions, but I don't see him using hashtags.

  Janalyn Yanover is a friend of mine is also a photographer and videographer and has now become a bit of an Instagram personality as well. Her IG handle is @janalyn.rose and her business name is Horizon Light Productions. She has a hashtag that she always uses, #AnticipateJoy, which is a good idea, and she often responds to her comments. She has nearly 26k followers and usually gets hundreds of likes and a good number of comments. She posts photos and videos daily. I do not know of her to use other social media other than Facebook and YouTube. Her business Facebook page she does not update too regularly and she seems to have barely used her YouTube account. What I can take from her methods is consistency and personal engagement.

   My cousin, Lindsey Rickards, started doing wedding/family photography a few years ago. She makes good use of Facebook and Instagram. On Facebook she has 426 followers and seems to post every few days, her most recent post being 3 days ago. Mainly she uses Facebook to repost her blog from her website and connect with clients through messaging. She posts photos with every post and has also used the Facebook Live feature. She has 545 Instagram followers and usually gets a range of 30-50 likes on her posts with a handful of comments. Her last Instagram post was 5 hours ago. She also has 259 monthly viewers on Pinterest, but doesn't seem to utilize that platform as often, her last post being in May. I think I can glean from her the wisdom of the cross-platform utilization.

   Followmeto.travel seems to be a Russian married couple (Murad and Nataly Osmann) who apparently started a photo project called "followmeto" on Instagram a few years ago that blew up, went viral, and now has 512k followers. They seem to post on Instagram every few days, their last post being two days ago. They get tens of thousands of likes on every post and anywhere from a handful to hundreds of comments. They have over 200k followers on Facebook, and their last post there was a week ago. They have almost 60k subsribers on YouTube and seem to post videos every few months that get hundreds of thousands of views. They also have a SnapChat account, but as I do not I wasn't able to check it out. They also have another social media platform that I've never heard of from another country on their website. I think that what I can take from their success is that it's helpful to find your "thing," the thing that makes you different...and then document the heck out of it.

Comments

Popular Posts